Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Wisdom teeth appear between the ages of 17 to 25 and are nothing but a third set of molars. At one point or the other everyone has them removed. Dentists recommend wisdom teeth extraction due to the following reasons:
- Wisdom teeth push against the neighboring teeth as they come out at improper angles. This results in crowding and changes in teeth alignment.
- Wisdom teeth are rudimentary and their removal doesn’t affect mastication or speech in any way.
- Wisdom teeth sometimes cause crepitation felt at TMJ and their removal makes mastication and jaw movement much smoother.
- They can get impacted in jawbone or gums, causing pain and discomfort.
- Wisdom teeth being at the far end are mostly out of reach of your floss and toothbrush. This makes them susceptible to cavities and decay. Once infected, it can spread to other teeth and gums as well.
Wisdom teeth are wrongly angled and can be trapped within mandible or gums. Their extraction is not a simple tooth removal. It becomes a complex surgical procedure as your dental surgeon may have to cut through gums or bone for removal. Therefore, it’s necessary to get them extracted from a renowned dental clinic.What to expect during treatment?
- Before the treatment, patient’s thorough assessment is done. Patients will be required to give their complete medical history and information regarding medications they’re currently taking.
- A panoramic X-ray may be required to capture all the teeth and surrounding structures in a single image.
- Patient is given local anesthesia before surgery. Aims Dentistry offers an option of sedation in case you have dental anxiety. Talk to your dental care provider regarding your anesthesia options.
- Like mentioned above, your dental surgeon may have to cut through gums or bone to gain access to teeth. Extraction site is closed with stitches which may take a few days to heal.
- Post treatment healing may take 2-3 days or even a week, differing from patient to patient. You’ll be given a list of precautions to be followed which you have to follow for proper healing.
- Your doctor may prescribe painkillers or NSAIDs to ease inflammation and pain. You can even apply cold packs over jaw to reduce swelling if any.
Dental surgeons at Aims Dentistry have proficiently carried out numerous wisdom tooth extractions over the years. In the hands of our expert doctors, you can expect great results.