Preventive Dental Care Mississauga
Preventive diagnostic helps prevent dental issues and other associated problems before they begin. It is a great way to help maintain good dental health. Some of the preventive measures taken include regular check-ups, gum disease treatment, laser gum lift, dental hygiene, and others. Our dentists perform a thorough check-up to help discover any dental problem early. We strive to correct any problem conservatively, effectively and in a cost-effective manner.
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed during your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:Fluoride Treatment
Fluoride is the most effective agent available to help prevent tooth decay. It is a mineral that is naturally present in varying amounts in almost all foods and water supplies. The benefits of fluoride have been well known for over 50 years and are supported by many health and professional organizations.Sealants
A sealant is a thin, plastic coating applied to the chewing surface of molars, premolars and any deep grooves (called pits and fissures) of teeth. More than 75% of dental decay begins in these deep grooves. Teeth with these conditions are hard to clean and are very susceptible to decay. A sealant protects the tooth by sealing deep grooves, creating a smooth, easy to clean surface.Sealants can protect teeth from decay for many years but need to be checked for wear and chipping at regular dental visits.